Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Keeping it Alive: Keeping a 29 year old cause going, if even for a moment

It is a well-known fact if you have been near the White House since 1981, that there is a dedicated crop of demonstrators posted in Lafayette Park, protesting many different issues from nuclear proliferation to United States policy in Israel. While wandering past the White House today, right before a lightning storm prepared to hit, I took about 15 minutes to speak with a man named "Start Loving", who was midway through his 8-hour shift on the 24/7 vigil, now in its 29th year (June 3, 1981).

He told me his great story about leaving his well-paying job to devote his time, and life, to this cause for human justice in the United States and across the world, not neglecting to converse with me on the topics I was interested in, including my school, DC Statehood and the recent DC Mayoral race (not censoring his sour opinion of Vincent Gray and the affect his Mayorship would have on DC education).

He has been taking part in this vigil full-time for over a year, since the death of the vigil's founder, William "Doubting" Thomas in January 2009, just a few days into the Obama administration. He told me that he has committed all of his time to his vigil because he believes in the potential of human beings to end the strife and human suffering going on all around the world. He is definitely not one of the "wack-jobs" that people have perceived the people there to be, but really is a regular guy down for the cause. It was very inspiring to see him talk to a passing school group and signing autographs on little slips of paper the students handed him.

When I asked him how exciting the sights were living in front of the White House were, he turned and simply said that with the time he spends talking to guests and working on the cause, "there's not time for sightseeing".

I watched him kneel over in the makeshift tent they have pitched and pull from the conglomeration of stuffs an empty water bottle, which in reflection on the heat and humidity of the day, disheartened me. "Hey, Markus...", he said to me, unexpectedly. "Will you stand here within like 3 feet of the signs for four minutes while I go get some water?". It shocked me, but I jumped at the chance to do so. So there he was, walking clear across Lafayette Park, out of sight, and there I was, on my own, continuing the 29-year-old movement that had defined Pennsylvania Avenue for 3 decades. I watched the very few visitors there were pass by and read the signs after the light rain had passed over, myself being the difference between a continuance or a Secret Service-induced end to this long-time protest.

When he returned, bottle filled, I gave him a hand shake and made my way down Pennsylvania Avenue, knowing that I had just experienced 3 minutes that I would never forget, playing my small role in preserving history. But, after a picked up a short meal at a local McDonald's, I couldn't help but return and get a picture with Start Loving to commemorate the day.

Start Loving and Concepcion Picciotto, our hearts are with you and we wish you the best of luck.

VIDEO: Watch "Start Loving"s interview with Roseane Barr.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pymatyIJEZo]

Visit Start:

Website- Directory to ALL of his blogs. lol

Facebook

Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List